Thursday, March 25, 2004

Power is a funny thing, particularly at work. At least for me, I usually complain that I don’t have enough. But due to some personnel changes in my office, I gained some new power through my relationship with a supervisor in another department. So anyway, today I needed to use that power. A coworker in another department was making it difficult for me to do my job. So I hammered that person. I got them in trouble with their new supervisor and probably made their life somewhat unpleasant. I don’t think there will probably be any long term consequences, but I realize that I don’t feel very good about what I did. Did I show this person a Christ-like love? How did I demonstrate grace in my actions? I didn’t do either.

But on the other hand, this person wasn’t doing their job. And their failure to accomplish certain tasks was making it impossible for me to do my job. So as a Christian that also has a job in a non-Christian environment, how do you deal with someone who has been promoted past their level of competence? They aren’t a bad or evil person; they’re just out of their league. What’s the Christian response? I don’t know. I just hope to treat them better the next time I’m in that situation.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home