Monday, April 12, 2004

Christianity Today has a blog that covers all sorts of topics, but today they’re covering a controversy of sorts surrounding John Kerry and his Catholic faith. I guess the big question was whether any Catholic church was going to bar him from taking Communion for his pro-choice stance. Apparently a couple of Catholic churches in Nebraska have already said that he is not welcome to take communion there.

This seems absolutely ridiculous to me on so many levels I don’t even know where to start. First, I think abortion is a terrible thing. I have trouble believing that so many people in our society support destroying lives and robbing the world of the potential that those unborn children represent. However, I don’t think that abortion should be illegal. I especially support abortion when it is necessary to protect the life of the mother.

I highlight my beliefs to illustrate the difference between a personal belief and a political belief. John Kerry may very well oppose abortion on a personal level, but political positions are a different beast. My point here is that we can’t ever be sure what John Kerry, George Bush, Krusty the Clown or anyone else really thinks or believes. Are Catholics really willing to deny communion to someone based on what they believe someone thinks?

My second complaint is that I think society is going too far in making the private piety of politicians a public affair (that alliterates well – not even on purpose – try saying “the private piety of politicians a public” five times quickly). We’re not having an election for the Pope – the last time I checked we’re trying to elect the President. It’s fine with me if people want to elect a Christian, but do we really need to engage in strict doctrinal litmus tests in the public sphere?

Finally, it bugs me that George Bush gets a total pass from the religious right on these same questions. He is our great Christian President, of unquestionable morals, unshakeable faith, appointed by the most high himself to safeguard America, the last and best great bastion of Christendom.

I wonder what Jesus would say about waging a war on false pretenses, changing tax policy to further enrich the wealthy at the expense of the working class, and supporting policies that degrade our environment? If we’re going to subject John Kerry to intense, dogmatic doctrinal/religious scrutiny, George Bush should get the same treatment.

But really, what absolute nonsense. Is it a matter of public policy if a Presidential candidate takes communion? I think some of the religious right would vote against Jesus Christ if he ran as a Democrat. Partisanship in this country has sunk to unbelievable levels of stupidity. Instead of actually talking about issues that matter we focus on inane details. We might as well get out the measuring tape and check their penis length.

Can you tell I’m grumpy this morning?

For the record, I really don’t care that much who gets elected President. Until we fix campaign financing we’re tied to a system of legal bribery that is only interested in gaining and maintaining power. Ethics, progress, and hope are completely irrelevant. Kerry, Bush, Krusty the Clown – it doesn’t matter. We might be better off with a fictional cartoon character as president. I’d be willing to experiment.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home