Monday, June 21, 2004

Denny Pennies
Frank, who is 82 years-old, is one of the snowbirds in our congregration. He always seems really upbeat, even though he's outlived a lot of his family and friends. At a church function on Saturday night, my wife and I were sitting down when Frank walked by. He noticed a penny on the ground and bent down to pick it up. He turned to us and displayed the penny. I thought he was going to say something about how valuable pennies are and why we should pay more attention to them. But Frank surprised me.

Frank looked at us and said, "I call these Denny pennies. My son Denny was killed in a car accident when he was 20 years-old. Whenever Denny got change, he'd go through it and throw the pennies into the street because he didn't think they were worth anything. So whenever I find pennies, I wonder if they're pennies from heaven, from Denny." Then he smiled and walked away.

I don't want to imagine ever losing a child. I can't begin to imagine how hard that would be. But I'm amazed by Frank's sense of peace and his grace. So thank you, Frank, for sharing your story. Andy I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for "Denny pennies."

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home