Friday, July 30, 2004

Tidbits...
I actually listened to Kerry's acceptance speech last. I wanted to be moved, inspired, called to action. But I had to face the reality that Kerry really isn't that dynamic of a speaker. Thankfully, Edwards is. Kerry did say one thing that resonated with me:

"And as President, I will bring back this nation's time-honored tradition: the United States of America never goes to war because we want to, we only go to war because we have to."

Amen to that. The full text of his speech is here.

Lesson of the day for my employees:

Honest mistakes happen. Careless, stupid mistakes happen too. Being honest about them and working to learn from them is a good thing. Lying about them and trying to cover them up is not such a good thing. Hoping that I don't find out about them is probably not the best strategy in this case. Treating the person badly that actually tells me the truth is not a good thing either.

Is it too much to ask for people to behave like adults?

My mentor believed that if we lived in a less litigious world, a personnel manual would only need two statements:

1.) Use your own best judgment at all times.
2.) Respect human dignity.

Not bad advice for life, either. He also had a plaque on his wall that said,

Trust in God. But lock your car.

Amen!

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home