Monday, May 17, 2004

I'm Tired...
I'm physically tired today, but I'm also spiritually, mentally, and emotionally tired. Our minister finished her sermon series on homosexuality, the Bible, and marriage yesterday. Our Sunday School class was discussing same-gender marriage with Don Freuh, director of Shalom Ministries. Shalom Ministries is an outreach of the Metropolitan District of the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. Don was a great asset to have there, but the discussion was tense. Frankly, I'm glad it's over and we can go back to pretending this issue doesn't exist for a little while. I wish there was a way we could talk about it without the pain, anger, and fear.

I'm uplifted today by Father Jake’s post on "Right Beliefs?" He ends talking about Matthew 22:37-40 (NRSV):

He said to him, '"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind." This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

I think as Christians we spend way too much time focused on ourselves and our churches. We worry about who is in, who is not. Is this a sin, is it not? We need to make Christianity less focused on us and our failings, and instead rejoice in God’s goodness, in our creation and redemption, and in our call to mission. Then I think we'd worry less about doctrine and belief, and really get on with the business of being Christian.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home