Thursday, May 06, 2004

New name, same old nonsense…
Thankfully the masses agreed with my top choice for the new name – The Faithful Skeptic. There are a couple of meanings in the title. First, I always want to be questioning – that is, being faithful to my skepticism. Secondly, I believe that skepticism and questioning bring me closer to God. Thinking about my faith is an essential part of being Christian – that is, an essential part of being faithful.

A couple of things inspired me to start thinking about this. I stumbled across a great blog called Real Live Preacher. In “The Preacher’s Story,” he says,

God, I don’t have great faith, but I can be faithful. My belief in you may be seasonal, but my faithfulness will not. I will follow in the way of Christ. I will act as though my life and the lives of others matter. I will love.

I have no greater gift to offer than my life. Take it.


I highly recommend reading his whole story.

I’ve also been thinking about what it means to be faithful. Marcus Borg in “The Heart of Christianity” describes four different meanings of faith.

  • Faith as Assensus – this is faith as belief

  • Faith as Fiducia – Borg describes this as a radical trust in God

  • Faith as Fidelitas – this is faith as fidelity, faith as our faithfulness to our relationship with God

  • Faith as Visio – faith as our vision of God – do we see God as hostile, indifferent, or life-giving?

I’ve struggled with belief, and I think that’s part of the nature of skepticism. But seeing faith as bigger than belief is a really liberating thought. I may struggle with the details, but I’ll always place my trust in God, live faithfully as a Christ-follower, and rejoice in God’s creation and grace.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home