Thursday, November 04, 2004

Sometimes it stinks to be right

So last week I predicted Bush would win 52% - 47%, with Nader coming in with 1%. Actual results so far show a Bush win, 51% - 48%. Pretty darn close, if I do say so myself. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised that Nader played less of a role than I thought he would. Hopefully he'll wander off into obscurity now.

I hope the Democrats use the next four years to learn from their mistakes and really build momentum for the 2006 midterm elections and 2008 presidential election. Another thing the Democrats need to do: reclaim the moral authority to talk about values. As Jim Wallis says, the Republicans have convinced America that they are the only party that can talk about values, and the only moral issues that matter are abortion and homosexuality.

Democrats need to build some serious relationships with Christian progressives and start talking seriously about morals and values. Democrats need to forcefully reject the attempts of Republicans to narrowly define what is "moral." Talking about meeting the needs of the poor and marginalized in our society is a moral issue. Guaranteeing access to healthcare for all citizens is a moral issue. Fighting for religious tolerance and against government establishment of religion is a moral issue.

I'm seriously considering registering as a Democrat. The Democratic Party needs to hear the voices of Christian progressives. How do we make sure they get the message?

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home