Saturday, May 29, 2004

Preaching and worshipping and praying, oh my!
After leading worship last Sunday, I get to preach on June 13th. I'm very excited and I finally decided what I'm going to talk about. I know I'm very lucky to have this much time to prepare!

The lectionary reading for that day that I'm going to use is Galatians 2:15-21 (NRSV).

15We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16yet we know that a person is justified not by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by doing the works of the law, because no one will be justified by the works of the law. 17But if, in our effort to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have been found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! 18But if I build up again the very things that I once tore down, then I demonstrate that I am a transgressor. 19For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; 20and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing.

Check out the translation from The Message by Eugene Peterson.

Here's the general outline for my sermon. As I write it, I'll post it here.

Tentative title - Finding Faith

Testimony - How did I get here?

Faith and Salvation - What does it mean to be saved? What does it mean to have faith? How does our understanding of salvation affect how we see our faith?

I'll write more later.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home